Since RHQ3, we support "alert sender" server plugins. Basically an alert sender is a piece of code that can generate some sort of response to the firing of an alert.
There’s a whole bunch of these in RHQ, including:
- emails – sending emails to the configured addresses that an alert occured within the system
- roles, users – notifying members of given roles or users about the alert
- mobicents – sends SMS messages about the alert
- log4j – writes a log entry when the alert fires
- operation – executes an operation on some resource in the RHQ inventory when the alert fires
This blog post is about a new such alert sender that is capable of executing a CLI script.
Now with the CLI scripts as the alert notifications you have the same power at your fingertips as you have in the CLI directly on the server. The scripts can do literally anything you can do in your CLI scripts.
As an example, consider the following script:
In another words, it is quite powerful :)
There is a design wiki page with documentation of the feature, if you’re interested in reading more about it:
There’s the brand new RHQ 4.0.0.Beta1 out that contains this new feature. Go check it out!
For the impatient, I recorded a short screencast of the new feature in action.
It is best viewed in HD but for that you have to view it directly on vimeo.com. Just click the “HD” in the video.